Friday, May 29, 2009

Different Perspectives on the Meaning of Faith

I discovered an American Public Media episode, "The Meaning of Faith" (on the program Speaking of Faith), which includes 4 guests representing 4 different religious perspectives: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism.

Each guest grapples with the meaning of faith. It's a fantastic way to spend way to spend 52 minutes - I highly urge you to listen when you have the time.

Meanwhile, here are a few snippets to ponder and to entice you:
  • Faith is the "courage to step forward into the unknown" and "admit that we don't know", yet to still have an "open-hearted participation in life" [this is my favorite definition]
  • Faith is "like a journey" and "an unfolding of the heart that's based on our love for ourselves and being able to reach out to others and let others reach out to us, to have a bigger picture of life where there's a sense of belonging and connection instead of feeling so alone and apart." [this is my other favorite]
  • Doubt and questioning are built into faith.
  • The opposite of faith is despair, not doubt.
  • When we hold onto our beliefs too tightly, they do not take us on to a place of greater faith.
  • Faith is "bigger than belief or not belief."
  • Rather, faith is "an abiding trust that the way things are working out is part of something bigger and probably incomprehensible." [this rings most closely to how I've thought of faith over the years]
  • Faith follows action.
  • "Our commonality comes from passionately clinging to our uniqueness and our individuality and our difference."
  • "Faith is a verb", "it's really an action word, faith is."
  • Faith speaks to "a belief and an interest in matters that are spiritual rather than the institution and creeds that you associate with religion."
  • "People of faith and spiritual communities understand that everyone is a child of God"

2 comments:

Amrithaa said...

Wow! I must admit, as I played catch up to post things I've been thinking/reading about this month, I only paused to read your posts after publishing mine and am struck by the messages that have been reinforced.

"Faith is the "courage to step forward into the unknown" and "admit that we don't know", yet to still have an "open-hearted participation in life" [this is my favorite definition]"- also mine :)

""Faith is a verb", "it's really an action word, faith is."- is the conclusion i reached. it's not a passive submission, but only the start of what we commit to do.

An excellent conversation on faith, thanks for sharing C! :)

Bright Butterfly said...

Agreed - your posts on faith have echoed so many of the wonderful definitions of faith I heard on this radio program. It's reinforcing (good word choice), as you said, for me to to read that you are thinking about faith in a similar way.