Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What is Best?

"What's new?" is an interesting and broadening eternal question, but one which, if pursued exclusively, results only in an endless parade of trivia and fashion, the silt of tomorrow. I would like, instead, to be concerned with the question "What is best?," a question which cuts deeply rather than broadly, a question whose answers tend to move the silt downstream.
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

2 comments:

melinda said...

“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best…” Philippians 1:9-10

Love, strengthened with knowledge and understanding, frames the search for what is best.

Bright Butterfly said...

Melinda, I love this passage. What a wonderful prayer to keep in our hearts... and so beautifully linked to the passage from Zen. Thanks! You've brightened my morning. :) I'm going to have to ponder this some more -- what you've said, love, strengthened by knowledge and understanding, seems essential. Could there be anything else?