More often than not, we may have no idea what God's will is for us--should I go back to grad school? should I take this class or that one? should I stick with this job or look for another? should I persevere with this relationship, take the next step, or end it completely? should I travel to do service or attend a conference that will enhance my professional growth? Some of these decisions may matter less than what we make of our choices. We are often confused about the path(s) before us, while sometimes simultaneously struggling to make sense of the path we've just traversed. This is especially true in times of change or times where we're contemplating change. Someone commented on the last post that prayer is an important means of clarifying God's will. "As long as we are able to attain a state where we admit that we, on our own, might not be able to understand God's will, but we ask for His guidance and pray for His will to be done - over time it will become clear what we need to do." Thus, I offer up the following prayer of abandonment, one I learned from Pastor Tim long ago. May you find in it the comfort it has provided me over the years.
My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following
your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you
and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in
the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
-Thomas Merton
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
brightest butterfly - this prayer brought me tremendous peace and solace in a state of utter despondency. although i did not make it explicit, the connection between this and following god's will is very much revealing itself within.
i am utterly grateful, but you already know that :).
Post a Comment