Thursday, September 17, 2009

Daily Miracles

"People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize; a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle."
- Thich Nath Hahn

Thanks to J for emailing me this quote, which I just read this evening catching up on email. Earlier today in the early evening I was walking along the beach to unwind after several long days of work. I walked along awhile, clearing my thoughts. I was starting to feel cold from the wind and thinking of turning back soon. Then I looked over my shoulder to fix my gaze and attention on the Monterrey Bay and at just exactly that moment I saw a dolphin jump out of the water incredibly close to the shore. My heart leaped up and praised God at the beautiful timing of this moment and my good fortune. This was certainly my miracle today. I had hoped to see a dolphin, but this was the closest and most clearly I've ever seen one from the shore.

No comments: