Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Ideal Relationship with Another Human

Clearly it is quite difficult to love other people for the sake of God rather than just for their own sake. And yet, the following poem has always moved me greatly; it paints the perfect image of what, for me, would be the ideal relationship.

The Day Sky
-Hafiz

Let us be like
Two falling stars in the day sky.

Let no one know of our sublime beauty
As we hold hands with God
And burn

Into a sacred existence that defies -
That surpasses

Every description of ecstasy
And love.

2 comments:

Amrithaa said...

Such beautiful imagery...and it captures the ideal of the central position of God in all relationships...Thanks for posting it! I have discovered Hafiz through you :)

Bright Butterfly said...

Amritha, it's so lovely to discover you here on my blog! :)
I'm glad to have been able to share one of my favorite poets with you. I highly recommend a collection of his work called "The Subject Tonight is Love: 60 Wild and Sweet Poems of Hafiz" translated by Daniel Ladinsky. I'm happy to share more of his stuff with you any time. ;)