Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wisdom from Hafiz

Tonight the following verse from a poem by Hafiz (a Sufi poet from 14th century Persia, also one of my favorite poets and spiritual teachers) came to mind:

"This place where you are right now
God circled on a map for you."

The rest of the poem is lovely too. But it is precisely this place that I'm reflecting upon, this place (literally and metaphorically) where I am at this moment in time. Moving to Santa Cruz has been challenging for me in some ways. I have, at times, felt frustrated with the slow pace of getting to know people here, frustrated that I'm not easily making the kinds of connections and friendships I yearn to be creating in my life. I hosted a housewarming party today and felt a bit disappointed by the turnout (a courageous act, considering that I don't know all that many people here yet), though I had a wonderful time with each of the dear people who did attend. And reflecting on the experience of the party made me think about this poem...

For though I've at times felt sad and lonely here in Santa Cruz, I am much happier in my current job than I was in my previous one in Cambridge. And I'm much much happier in my wonderful new apartment than I have been in any other place for a long time. I feel more centered and healthier than I have in a long time (despite tummy woes). I feel a sense of progress, of peace even amidst distress. I feel a great sense of abundance for living in a place of such natural beauty.

Most importantly, this evening -- in thinking about the day, my life of late, and this poem -- I have discovered a sense of certainty that this place that God has chosen for me right now has been constructed to propel me back deeply into spiritual growth, and for this I am incredibly thankful. I really trust and know that this is exactly where I'm meant to be right now. That this situation and the people who are currently strongly present in my life were destined to be here Now for my greatest spiritual growth.

2 comments:

...but a pilgrim and wayfarer said...

Dearest, thanks for this beautiful post, and the words of Hafiz--they really touched me yesterday.

I wanted to share with you a jewel I came across this morning from Prayers and Meditations of Baha'u'llah, which speaks of contentment with the will of God:

"Perish that lover who discerneth between the pleasant and the poisonous in his love for his beloved! Be thou satisfied with what God hath destined for thee. He, verily, ruleth over thee as He willeth and pleaseth."

And a part of a prayer from Baha'u'llah:

"Make me ready in all circumstances, O my Lord, to serve Thee and to set myself towards the adored sanctuary of Thy Revelation and of Thy Beauty. If it be Thy pleasure, make me to grow as a tender herb in the meadows of Thy grace, that the gentle winds of Thy will may stir me up and bend me into conformity with Thy pleasure, in such wise that my movement and my stillness may be wholly directed by Thee."

Have a lovely day ;)

Bright Butterfly said...

Oh so true, and yet it can be oh so challenging to do this completely! In terms of cultivating this kind of acceptance of what "God hath destined for thee", I love this prayer I just read last night (particularly the line "Vouchsafe unto me, through Thy grace, what will enable me to dispense with all except Thee, and destine for me that which will make me independent of everyone else besides Thee"):

In the Name of Thy Lord, the Creator, the Sovereign, the All-Sufficing, the Most Exalted, He Whose help is implored by all men.

Say: O my God! O Thou Who art the Maker of the heavens and of the earth, O Lord of the Kingdom! Thou well knowest the secrets of my heart, while Thy being is inscrutable to all save Thyself. Thou seest whatsoever is of me, while no one else can do this save Thee. Vouchsafe unto me, through Thy grace, what will enable me to dispense with all except Thee, and destine for me that which will make me independent of everyone else besides Thee. Grant that I may reap the benefit of my life in this world and in the next. Open to my face the portals of Thy grace, and graciously confer upon me Thy tender mercy and bestowals.

O Thou Who art the Lord of grace abounding! Let Thy celestial aid surround those who love Thee, and bestow upon us the gifts and the bounties Thou dost possess. Be Thou sufficient unto us of all things, forgive our sins and have mercy upon us. Thou art Our Lord and the Lord of all created things. No one else do we invoke but Thee, and naught do we beseech but Thy favors. Thou art the Lord of bounty and grace, invincible in Thy power and the most skillful in Thy designs. No God is there but Thee, the All-Possessing, the Most Exalted.

Confer Thy blessings, O my Lord, upon the Messengers, the holy ones and the righteous. Verily, Thou art God, the Peerless, the All-Compelling.
-The Báb