I received a good question via email yesterday that I thought I'd post here for the benefit of other non-Indians:
Q: Is a "sari shop" a place where you buy material and they sew it together for you... or is it pretty much "good-to-go" at purchase?
A: As far as I can tell, the sari shop is where you buy the long piece of fabric that wraps around your body. This part is ready made. Some saris come with an additional piece of fabric for the top. It seems that sometimes you may have to buy this other piece of fabric separately. Next you take the top material to a different shop (I haven't been to one of these yet) where they take your measurements and make custom stitch a top for you. Apparently tops also come ready made.
These are my conclusions based on my experience at one 5 story sari shop, which apparently bars nothing in size compared to some places... it may be that some sari shops also sell the ready made tops.
Indian ladies, please comment and correct any mistaken conclusions I'm making here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is correct. There is also a new breed of "designer sari" shops, where everything is readymade, and altered to fit you if it doesn't already fit you perfectly.
You may also be familiar with the pocket sari :p
http://www.ultrabrown.com/wp-content/uploads/Pocket%20sari_new.jpg
Haaa... no, hadn't heard about this. This is great.
Have you ever heard of the "one minute sari"?
Post a Comment